Time To Regroup and Move Forward | Girl on the Run

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Time To Regroup and Move Forward

Well last week marked the official end of "half marathon" season for me. I ran the Brooklyn Half Marathon, and although the race wasn't what quite what I had hoped for...I pulled through and managed. Thank you all so much for your kind words and support...it really does mean a lot to me.

As much as I would love a "redo", it's time to move up and onward - I have a marathon to train for! If I counted correctly, the 18-week training window starts right after July 4th. Which is nice, because it gives me some time to take it a bit easy this week - I can't believe how much a "bad" race can take it out of you! I'm still pretty tired, my legs feel a bit heavy, and my right knee was a bit swollen last night, and is a bit stiff today.  I don't think it's anything that a few days of  good icing and foam rolling won't take care of...but if it continues to bother me, I'll head straight to the PT office. Much better to nip an injury in the bud before it becomes a major problem.

Since I went to the Hartford Marathon Foundation's open house a few weeks ago - I've been thinking about joining up with their marathon training group. I emailed the coordinator to see if she would send me over a copy of their long run schedule - and the beginner plan calls for two 16 mile runs, two 18s, one 17, and two 20s. And since their marathon is on October 16th, that still gives me time to do one more cycle on my own. The only downside is that the group meets at 6:30 am - eek! that is early. But I think the early alarms will be worth it to beat the heat and have some training buddies.

Do you have a race this fall you are targeting? What's your plan of attack for the summer?

PS - Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about the giveaway I had alluded to earlier in the week - it's coming, I promise! Make sure you are "following" me so you can be included. Stayed tuned!

12 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to start training for Twin Cities on June 1. After not doing a spring marathon this year, I am chomping at the bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What marathon are you doing? I really want to do a fall marathon but have been having some problems with a pain in my foot, so I am not sure yet what I'm going to do. I had originally planned to do a September one, but that would mean starting training NOW, soooo...not sure:(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to focus on halfs this year. I had originally thought about doing a Marathon in October, but now that I've signed up to run the Half AND the Full Marathon Relay at Disney World in January, I don't want to risk an injury!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're running the hartford marathon??? Me too! It's actually going to be my first marathon ever :) Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting excited for marathon training this summer! NYC is my target race again, and I can't wait! I'll probably develop my own plan and make sure it includes speedwork and 3 20+ milers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey! Thanks so much for commenting on my post! I am so glad I found your blog...it will be fun to follow you and keep up with your marathon training :)

    I am running my first in June but my training got interrupted by an injury so my goal is just to finish in one piece :)

    But I got into the St George Marathon in the fall and am SO excited. I really did not think I would get in so I am excited to actually train for that one! Will be fun :)

    Have a wonderful day! And thanks again for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your comment on my blog and mentioned it (and linked your blog, hope that's okay) on my post today. I'm so jealous that you live in the NYC area. Gahh, my dream city!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading your race report on Brooklyn ! eatdrinkrun ran it as well --> you should totally read her entry it's freaking hilarious!

    As far as fall races, I want to attempt a sprint triathlon ! Not sure which yet, but it sounds scary just thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am training for a full marathon, my first, Marine Corps in D.C.! My plan run early to beat the heat and have a running buddy to train with. I plan to listen to my coach and to my body and not push it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many great events everyone is training for...love the inspiration! I should of been more clear in the post - but I'm actually training for the New York Marathon for my second year in a row. But there's a training group for Hartford starting in my area, so they are close enough in dates so I can tag along. I trained alone for New York last year, and it was rough doing the super long runs on my own. Whether you are doing a double half marathon, another fall marathon or a tri...keep me updated on your progress as you train, I love hearing from you all! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a lot of long runs on that schedule. I am doing Queens 1/2, Hamptons marathon, would love to hear more about Hartford as you train. My husband is still hurting from Brooklyn. Racing is different than running and if you push it or have to push through as you bravely did- it wipes you out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm running a full this coming weekend and will probably take it easy for the rest of June, but then I'll be training the rest of the summer for the Chicago Marathon in October. I can't wait to follow your progress!

    ReplyDelete